Friday, July 1, 2016

Blog - Day 3 & 4

Day 4: June, 29th
We started the day off with basket weaving. For which my lack of talent is astounding (nevertheless, I am very satisfied with my mediocre basket). We got another taste of Ollantaytambo’s culture with the ¨Viva la historia¨ play honoring the town’s Incan Roots. The play was performed by hundreds of local students with traditional costume, song, dance and despite the use of a local language (neither Spanish nor English), it was very entertaining. The best part of the day, though, was our arrival, we were served guinea pig (which is slightly comparable to duck).
We finally put our Spanish to use and spoke for hours with the family.
We taught the grandson, Rodrigo, to play cards and suddenly 2 hours had passed. I haven’t been here for long, but I already feel like I have a family. Just as welcoming are the snow- capped mountains that surround our house (I’m still slightly convinced we’re looking at a green screen). It’s so exciting to think that the journey is just beginning. I can’t wait to see what it holds.
LUCY SOHR

Day 5: June, 30th
Today we walked to school with Rodrigo, who is a member of Lucy and I’s host family. While we waited for the principal of the school to come, we cleaned up the trash in the field. When the principal got here we introduce ourselves to about thirty excited students from first to sixth grade. While the students learned science, math, and communications, we were outside weeding and painting.
A I though we had not finished the school already looked transformed when they came out for lunch. Lunch consisted of fish, lentils, and rice, all freshly cooked that morning. At lunch we were given the opportunity to improve our Spanish by talking with then before we went back to our host families. All of the host families are so excited to have us and have not ceased to offer us food since we got here. I’m more stuffed then, I have ever been.
JUNIOR MARGARET